There is no doubt that TikTok is the fastest-growing mobile app in 2020. According to 'Apple's Top Chart,' TikTok ranks #2 as the most downloaded free app. Currently beating its competitors Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter.
TikTok originated in China and was developed by a Beijing-based company that was created in 2012 by a Chinese internet entrepreneur, Zhang Yiming. TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service that became available in the United States on August 2, 2018. Within one and a half years, TikTok has accumulated 800 million active monthly users and the TikTok app has been downloaded over 1.5 billion times on the App Store and Google Play worldwide. In the year 2019, TikTok reached 738 million downloads globally. (Sensor Tower, 2019).
Meet Mia Galvan
Currently, if you type in the word "makeup" on TikTok you will find videos of Laura Lee, Manny MUA, James Charles, and Mia Galvan. Mia is a 20-year-old upcoming beauty influencer on the app TikTok she creates content on all things beauty related. With only 93 videos on her account, Mia currently has 38.5k followers and her most popular video on TikTok currently has 1.2 million views.
I wanted to find how Mia was able to rank her videos next to top beauty influencers with millions of followers. I was interested in getting to know Mia Galvan and figuring out what makes her content so likable in the makeup world of social media. Below are some questions I asked her and towards the end of the blog post I will share my tips and trick on how you can grow your TikTok page in 2020 as well.
1. Which platform do you prefer Instagram or TikTok?
- Hard to choose! Each platform is very different and has its own pros and cons! Instagram is more aesthetic, but TikTok is funny and reaches a larger audience. I honestly would have to choose Tiktok, because for what I do, making makeup videos, you have all the tools to make a nice tutorial in the app, rather than using editing software and cameras, all your tools are right there in the app. It is an advantage for people who love making videos.
2. Has your TikTok following lead to any paid sponsorships?
- It has led to many makeup brand opportunities and music artist collaborations, but only some being paid. On average, I receive about 4 emails a week for either free products for content or a paid opportunity to sponsor a song. Most of the time, they mention they came across my TikTok videos and reached out via Instagram. I have a friend who actually is sponsored by a brand that pays him to use his TikTok videos for ads. It is possible.
3. What are your top tips on becoming successful on TikTok?
- Genuinely be you and do what you love. That has been the most powerful thing that I would recommend to anyone wanting to grow their followers on TikTok. Often, your audience can tell if your videos are forced or superficial. Sometimes they may even point it out. But when your videos reflect your music style, your fashion, and your aesthetic, then from an artistic view, there’s harmony. Audiences will want to follow someone if they can see the whole picture, and I truly feel anyone can be successful on Tiktok if they stick to who they really are. Also, another big thing is making videos that inspire other people. If you ever wonder why DIY videos are so successful. It’s because people go backreference to a page, video, or person for inspiration. Whether it's an inspiration to do a dance, makeup looks, sing a song, make a painting, skateboard, do nails. Whatever it may be, make videos that inspire others to do as well!
4. How did you gain your TikTok following?
- I developed my fan base by creating a friendly and welcoming online presence. I try to make everyone feel apart of my little family because without them I would not have the platform I have today. I make my followers feel special by reaching out to them, engaging with everyone as much as I can. My advice is to network, be approachable and inspire them to create as well.
5. How were you able to rank your TikTok videos next to top beauty influencers such as James Charles and Laura Lee?
- Expanding reach is super important! Here are three things I do to increase video rankings on Tiktok and Instagram!
Collaborations are key. Working with artists and brands that have more network connections can open doors to the next opportunity, and so on, and so forth.
Instantly capture the audience's attention at the very beginning of the video is super important so that they don’t scroll past your video!
Building a good reputation consistently and having a strong presence can also catch the attention of a larger audience, thus video rankings will increase!